Header Ads

CD Review: KODY NORRIS - When I Get The Money Made

KODY NORRIS
When I Get The Money Made
Coal Minin' Man - Down In the Willow Garden - Back In the Country - Truck Drivers Queen - When I Get The Money Made - I'm Movin' On - Hold Watcha Got - Bald Knob, Arkansas - You Can't tell The Boys From The Girls - A Boy Called Lonesome - I'm Ready To Go Home - The Bluegrass Auctioneer
 
Just as soon as I put Kody Norris's CD on the player, from the very first note I knew I was listening to 'traditional' Bluegrass music, and I have to tell you, it's absolutely super.  Jimmy Martin was a very close friend to myself and my family (I have some super pictures of Jimmy holding our little daughter when she was about 2 years old) and for me his hard-driving bluegrass was the epitome of what bluegrass music was (and still is in Kody Norris) all about.  Lucky for me Kody even has a Jimmy Martin song on this most excellent 'real' Bluegrass album.  "Hold Watcha Got" is a song Jimmy wrote, and it is such a pleasure to hear such a good bluegrass singer doing this song again.  I know what Jimmy Martin would say..."Damn he's good isn't he?"  Super good musicians on this newest project of Kody Norris. Kody plays the same hard-driving rhythm guitar that Jimmy Martin was famous for.  Kody plays a guitar from the famous Nashville luthier Mike Long. He also plays mandolin.  May Rachel Nalley is on fiddle, and I do believe the 'sureness' of her playing brings her instrument to the forefront in exactly the right places.  Josiah Tyree is on 5-string banjo, and the first song definitely displays his incredible ability to not only be fast, but to also be on-the-mark perfect.  Tim Norris is on acoustic bass, and that too makes the music come together so brilliantly.  They recorded this excellent CD at the Castleford Studios in North Carolina, mixed by none other than the bass player Tim Norris.  Don't know the relationship to Kody, hopefully it's a brother, one thing for sure he knows how to 'mix' as well as play a straight super sounding acoustic bass.  Kody's lead voice is right where it needs to be, and the guitar runs, and all instrument leads are right where they are supposed to be.  I just love traditional Bluegrass, and this album should be in the libraries of anyone who likes the music and the genre.  I really like the 'title' track "When I Get The Money Made" an old Ira and Charlie Louvin composition.  Takes me to another time in my life inducting Charlie into America's Old Time Country Music Hall of Fame.  Sure was neat.  Another of our inductees, Mac Wiseman is also on the songwriting end of this song, so you know it's got to be good.  Boy, the Kody Norris Show sure keeps good company, huh?  Kody and his band are regulars on the "Cumberland Highlanders Television Show" on RFD-TV. Thank you Kody Norris for taking me back to a musical genre that was so very real in the past, and you are keeping it alive in the present.  This CD is going to the Rural Roots Music Commission for their appraisal.  Still have a few days to get it there before they close down submissions for "CD of the Year" awards for this year.  I'll want to be hearing more of Kody Norris.
RECORD REVIEW BY BOB EVERHART, Pres. National Traditional Music Assn.  www.music-savers.com for Country Music News International

No comments